Pair homemade cilantro jalapeno pesto with roasted eggplant and you have a vegetarian naan pizza that will blow your mind!
Prep Time14 mins
Cook Time16 mins
Total Time30 mins
• 1 cup chopped cilantro
• 1 large garlic clove minced
• 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeno pepper
• 2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
• pinch of salt and pepper
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium eggplant cut into 1/3-inch slices
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 (ea.) teaspoon kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
• 2 pieces naan whole wheat or regular, store-bought or homemade
• 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
• 2 ounces fresh mozzarella thinly slice
The Pesto: In the bowl of a food processor or a blender, combine cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, salt and pepper. Pulse to roughly chop. With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil. Blend until smooth.
The Pizza: Preheat the broiler. Set the rack 2 to 3 inches from the heat source.
1. Lay the eggplant pieces on a baking sheet lined with foil. Brush both sides of eggplant with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. (Grilled eggplant is how I did mine)
2. Place eggplant under the broiler and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn! Let cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes.
3. Lower the oven rack to the middle setting and turn the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the naan pieces on an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Divide the pesto between the pieces of naan and spread evenly. Top with eggplant, overlapping the pieces slightly. Sprinkle with dried red chile flakes and top with mozzarella.
5. Place the pizzas in the oven and cook until cheese is melted and naan are starting to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for about 5 minutes. Cut into strips and serve.
Nutrition Serving: 0.5Pizza | Calories: 413kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 810mg | Potassium: 303mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 470IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 0.5mg
Original Recipe: Cookin Canuck /www.cookincanuck.com